Saturday 1 June 2013

Poetry: The Keyboard Warrior

I'm sitting here at my computer screen
Because something is not right
I'm sitting here at my computer screen
And what I see instills a fright.

I'm sitting here at my computer screen
Seeing words pass most obscene
I'm sitting here at my computer screen
Trying not to scream.

Because there's someone wrong on the internet
Flickering nonsense in the bright
And where there's someone wrong on the internet
They need to be set right.

I care not for inconsistencies, for grammar slips or faux pas
The racist slurrings, violent stirrings or the sexually deviant bizarre
No research fault, no spelling assault, is ever beyond my reach
As my fingers type throughout the night I feed my urge to teach.

If claims are disingenuous, arguments too ambiguous, I'll show them the absurd
I'll hunker down, expose the clowns, refute if sarcasm is a verb
No determined quarreller, will deter this keyboard warrior, from banishing my foe
I strike my keys, you must defer to me, or to the blocked list you will go.

But I as sit here at my computer screen
Dawn approaching fast
I ponder at my computer screen
That my rage might be miscast...

Because whilst there's someone wrong on the internet
Someone ignorant with glee
Because who is really wrong on the internet
Could just as easily be me.

My view is flawless, the opposition lawless against my righteous might
No space for question, no tolerant mention, no possible oversight
With a flash of perception, some sage observation of the mirror of my being
My blind attitude, the contradictions I exclude, are the same with whom I'm disagreeing.

We don't debate, our riposte can't wait, we shout down all dissenters
To concur we refuse, our only option to accuse, all manner of vile offences
But my insights gone, for I have won, the transgressor has up and departed
So back I trawl, mistakes are my haul, my growth already restarted.

Because there'll be someone wrong on the internet
Someone who is not right
And I'll find that sinner on the internet
Even if it takes me all damn night.



No comments:

Post a Comment