Wednesday 17 October 2012

Book review: Terry Pratchett's Dodger


When we look at the news today it's all Saville scandal this and Turkey trouble that, so this week let's have something a little different as we review a much appreciated distraction to all this bollocks: Terry Pratchett's new book, Dodger.

Let's see it we can get my shitty camera working...

My god, that is a shitty picture
So Dodger is another foray by Pratchett outside the Discworld series. However this book will lead many readers into familiar territory as Dodger is the story of a young scavenger getting increasingly involved in a big crime in Dickensian London. Very literally Dickensian London in fact as Charles Dickens turn up in it.

Quick synopsis without spoilers: we follow our main character called Dodger. He is a scavenger, particularly of the sewer kind, known locally as a tosher. Witnessing a brutal crime, Dodger intercedes the good old fashioned way (...which is another phrase for 'heavy application of a crowbar in a not originally intended for manner.') His good deed is in turn discovered, and Dodger finds himself not able to walk away to continue his fate as another tosher marching to an early grave, but drawn to using all his street smarts and wit to investigate, reveal and prevent a much bigger crime. Along the way he's assisted by not only the aforementioned Charles Dickens, but from his mentor and incredibly awesome Solomon, their pervasively smelly dog Onan, and a whole slew of other historical figures.

Of course, a character in it's own right is the Dickensian city of London herself. As obvious Discworld comparisons is obvious, let's get them out the way here. Readers of Discworld will definitely be on happy ground here as Pratchett has been writing about old age London for ages with Ankh-Morpork and there's a definite comfortableness with Pratchett writing here. In fact, once or twice I noted something that I felt I had read to a previous effect in earlier works – comments about angels and their similarities to that what was said in Going Postal stood out to me, for example. While I liked spotting those match ups for some that may be a step too far, but to get to that point I imagine you would have to read a lot of Pratchett whilst not enjoying it and why would you do that to yourself? 

Unless you're me who read the entire Da Vinci Code in a fit of rage, but hell, I stopped at that book.

Paragraphs are happily spent building vast tracts of imaginary land and time – while enjoyable, stylistically here Pratchett's writing is a little heavier than Discworld as it's heavily littered not just with detailed loving descriptions of the city but also with researched slang. Those footnotes we all know and love appear not so much to inject further humour but almost Pratchett going, 'Right, crap, I just realised you probably haven't researched this time and place as much as I have. No worries, I'll explain here. God, isn't this era great to write about?' While a couple of paragraphs had me spinning my eyes in pure vocabulary shock it was just my own experience expecting a easier read more akin to his previous work and me reading quickly like a bandit rather than slowing down. I found myself appreciating the several historical figures that popped up in another light as it helped me ground the story away from Ankh-Morpork because at times I found myself expecting Death to turn up.

As for the living cast; Dodger is a protagonist I'm built to love. He's a man who'll be great through confrontations using smarts and wit, yet if worst comes to worst he'll back it up with a swift kick to the nadgers and a swing of a crowbar. A valiant scoundrel, a... you know, if I keep going on about him I'll get mushy. I love me a well written scoundrel with quick wits yet the brains of an absolute bastard at times. 

Of course, next in line we have Solomon, who should be in every book ever. A craftsman who's been in and subsequently out at great speed of nearly every country on the planet, who regularly talks to God in such a way that he makes very clear he not only expects a response, but it better damn well be the reply he's looking for or to hell with you, buddy. I also love Solomon. At the end of the book Pratchett wrote about some of the research going into this book – a habit I noticed him starting with The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents and I implore him to continue doing so as it's truly fascinating – that Solomon was a creation at first to make sure Dodger turned into a character not hampered by malnutrition and terrible hygiene; but since that start he became the character that I most wanted to get to know more. Hell, I would buy a book all about his earlier exploits. 

Now there are other characters; Simplicity, the newly named woman rescued by Dodger doesn't nearly get enough screen time - but she is recovering from a horrific beating so it's to be expected she has to sit out a lot and recover. What we do get to see of her is a cunning mind, able to aptly play situations by knowing when to play the fool and when to push, but she's sidelined for a lot save for some charming scenes with Dodger. Without going too much into the myriad of side characters (it's Pratchett, okay, there's a lot of them and they're greatly distinctive regardless how long they'll be in the book for) I'll pick Mrs Scruples as one of my favourites. Once again, we have a character that seemed nasty but was revealed into something else – I noticed the same trick in I Shall Wear Midnight and I remember being annoyed that my character I enjoyed hating was not a one-note villain but a complicated, fearful human being with depth... before hanging my head in shame of realising I was pissy because I wanted a one-note to despise and whoops, great writer coming through here boy, got places to be, better plot and people to write you could ever dream up boy! Charles Dickens is great fun to be around, full of mischief and sparkle. Between Doctor Who and this I wonder if he ever realised how beloved he'd become in recent media not just for his work but as fictionalised representation of himself? Other side characters of note are also that – fictionalised representation of real world people and I won't spoil their introduction because the historian in me went giddy when another big name rolled around that we got to interact with. Needless to say, Pratchett does a wonderful job by the end of the book of making you want to start Googling these names.

My gushing aside, how did it hold up? Well, let's be honest here. I am biased as all fuck. I love me some Pratchett, and am a vicious collector of his Guard's series, and am expanding into his Witches series after coming in from the back end from the Aching novels, and I am desperately awaiting a third Moist novel. So I can assure you that if you like those previous stories you'll like this. If you're not a Discworld fan some of the silliness has been muted for some darker overtones – some, not all, but it's still an enjoyable read. If you cannot stand Ye Olde English slang and descriptions more then a few words long before it smacking of purple prose to you... yeah, you probably won't enjoy this. But once again, I'm one biased motherfucker who loves him some Pratchett so you should get this. It's all good.

Now that I've done a swimmingly good review for free maybe Pratchett will repay me by writing the next Moist book you dick.

Purchasing information:

Dodger is out in all good book stores now. I got my copy with £8 off at Waterstones, (where they're selling £30 super special awesome sauce edition that there was no way I was shelling out for. It's also available on ebook from many places.

No comments:

Post a Comment