Friday 1 February 2013

Grumpy Valentines Day grump grump


The last dregs of the Christmas tinsel has been cleared away, the New Year Sales signs have retreated into the back... so it's time for the next round of festivities, Valentines day. Every time it swings around, I have the same thoughts running through my head.

Firstly, I am highly aware that it's no more than a cynical cheap ploy by card manufacturers to pull in some cash in the period between Christmas and Easter. I know I am capable of telling my wonderful girlfriend that I love her whenever I want (usually after breaking something of hers by accident), and can throw elaborate demonstrations of my love whenever I feel like (usually by actually tidying up some of my mess that I leave liberally in my passing), and we're both adults, and so can buy chocolate and alcohol whenever we damn well please. I'm not past the magic, there was no magic to begin with.

But... the whispering voices suggest. Isn't it nice to buy flowers, to buy chocolates, to buy cards and make a big deal of the woman I love?

Er, yes, it is, but the reason I haven't bought flowers recently is because it's fucking winter and I haven't seen any nice deals, we still have chocolate left over from Christmas...

Just do the fucking holiday already, the whispers snap.

Hey hey hey! I respond back, because there ain't no argument like an inner-head argument. I never said I wasn't going to do it, and I never said I was going to resent or do it without anything less than enthusiasm. At which point the whispers get confused, and I have to patiently explain to them that making a point about the shallowness of the festivities doesn't involve refusing to be a part. I can be aware of the cynical invention whilst enjoying it regardless. It's a day to do something a little out the norm to show your love, affection, and gratitude, in a way that is the norm, and that's not just fine, that's wonderful. Like when most of the conversations with your mother occur only around Christmas and Mother's Day; sometimes it's nice to have a societal-backed event to remind you that you should be paying attention to the people that you care about.

It's just that I dislike the fact it took a shady card conglomerate to make it happen.

Also, straight up declaring you don't 'do,' Valentines day? Dick move. Have fun sticking it to the man and being totally alone, chump. Sometimes we do the ritual 'cos regardless of the ritual, not doing it is quite frankly a douche play to everyone else.

Also the cards in question.

Yeah, finally telling my girlfriend I love her was not only a great life event and yadda yadda, it really made card shopping so much easier. Look at Valentines day cards. They go:

Wife Cards--> Finance Cards--> The Woman I Love Cards--> Comedy Girlfriend Cards--> Victims of My Stalking Cards.

However, in the earlier stages of our relationship, this was a wholly unworkable system. I mean clearly, wife and finance cards are out, stalker cards finally out at this point, but due to cowardice the Woman I Love cards are out and I'm down to a Comedy Girlfriend card which really wasn't appropriate any more.

In fact, those Comedy Girlfriend cards seem barely appropriate for anyone, at any stage of a relationship. How many card have you seen with the not-said but implied meaning; 'I sort of care for you as a whole person, but I'm mostly in love with certain parts of you that you let me touch. With my hands AND my willy.'

So I was forced to trudge around shop after shop, to find a card hidden at the back underneath an inexplicable collection of Chinese New Year and Thanksgiving cards, which took the girlfriend subject seriously enough yet not so serious to causally throw around words I was too scared to use. So. First saying 'I love you'; not just a life event but also makes card shopping just that much more convenient.

Admittedly, nowadays it's a bit easier. I mean, for Christmas, I got a Christmas card from my dad which was a 'To My Son and His Partner Card,' which is bloody specific, perhaps hinting at 'To My Idiotic Son Who Should Hurry Up And Marry Her, I Want Grandkids' or maybe 'To My Son and His Room-mate He Claims Is 'Just A Really Close Friend,' But You've Lived With Him For Eight Years, Moved Into A House Together, And We Do See Your Facebook Photos, You Can Come Out The Closet As We Love You And Barry Is A Swell Guy Anyway Who Always Lets Me Beat Him At Golf.' I mean, it did seem kinda unisex in decorations on the front. Which is ever more specific, come to think or it, and good on whoever the company was who made it. Probably not Clintons, not on account of any company based homophobia, more on account of company-based bankruptcy due to people figuring out there were much cheaper options.

It's just that Valentine's Day's everywhere. And it's not like Christmas, where you can get a present and the recipient has no idea what it could be, as the recipient is walking past what they're going to get every time they go food shopping. I mean, flowers, chocolates, they're pretty much standard and I can't think or much else that's penetrated the Valentines day gift market and heh. Penetrated. Penetration and Valentines day do you get... okay back to serious face now. I mean, you pick up a really nice box of chocolates, and as you look down you realise they've slashed the price down to 57p and you know, you just know, if it was got for you, you'd be flattered... and at the back of your mind you'd go 'Wait, didn't I see that box go for 57p? Huh. Cheap-ass. Shows how much they care.' So off you go looking for a obscure box to keep some degree of mystery about how much you spent. I mean, it isn't about the amount you spend. We all know this. You just don't really want to bring attention to the final amount, to have the receiver to only have an approximation, not the exact amount with the change left over from a fiver. So if you're wondering that I'm complaining about the stereotypic gifts for a holiday suddenly dropping in prices rather than the opposite to scalp people, yes I am. I don't want to look like a cheap-ass.

Look, this is not me being a grump I swear, I just... couldn't we get a box? A box of all the Valentines day stuff. We have it in the store, right, and when we want to actively look for gifts, we look in the box. That way, we can find and buy the stuff we want, and as it's not in our eye-line all the damn time we'd not have price subliminally drilled into our skulls.

Hmm. Maybe if I got the day off I'd stop seeing all the cynical background, 'cos I'd be too busy cynically enjoying the day off. Hell, we get the fewest amount of bank holidays in Europe, why not?

Er. Actually, come to think of it, make the 15th the day off. For, ya know, reasons.

Seems a better idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment