Sunday 27 April 2014

Time advancing is like film reboots - sometimes, not entirely awful

I've always been a proponent that you should forever by wary that you were, very recently, a colossal bleedin' idiot. Think about yourself five, ten years ago. What did you like? What hobbies, fashion, hairstyle, music, politics? Dear god they were stupid shit, right? You looked like an idiot, and your music was garbage to. And think how naive you were!

Case in point - they were once very popular, and fashionable.
The second part of this philosophy of self-reflection is to realise that this happens all the time, so five years from now, you'll think the you of today is stupid.

I've been pondering this today because whilst I was doing my swimming I was struck by the idea if I got up earlier, I could go running in the morning before work. In doing so, I would pick up a little more exercise, and if I did it regularly, I may just lose the last stubborn bit around my waist and get abs. Honest to god abs. I have never had abs. I've never come close to having abs during my life, until recently. I eat well, I even regularly eschew meat and have those healthy vegetarian option... though admittedly that is also motivated by poverty. Meat is expensive.

But this thought came in knowing that I despise getting up early, let alone volunteering to get up even earlier, and I'm not massively a fan of running. It's difficult, and early in the morning is the realm of cold and misery. And it's an idea I really want to do, and what the hell has happened to me.

I am completely different to the person I was ten years ago, which, yes, duh, but it's still a weird sensation. Ten years ago I was practically a carnivore, who believed that there was a conspiracy to claim vegetables as food. I lived in an utter mess, because it wasn't a mess, it was a floor-based filing system, exercise was something completely irrelevant because I was young and had a metabolism that kept me permanently gangly.

Also I believed that the Liberal Democrats were totally legit, and that my degree I would earn at university would lead to a high paying job.

Ah, I made a joke!
Some of these things changed because of reality. Over things, well, you can't live with someone whilst wrecking the place. Words get exchanged. And considering my sizeable battle-ready weapon collection being evenly distributed around the apartment gives a definite motivation to talk things out nice and early, before the screaming happens, and hands get itchy. Tragically, even with the sizeable weapon it appears somewhere down the line I may have become an adult, who knows what escrow is, among various little titbits of boring adult things like ISAs, pension plans, despising modern news media, and wondering where the hell Dr Bashir ended up.

Ah, there you are. Jesus, DS9 came out in the 90s. That is a long time ago!
I'll think that I'll roll with this new me, on account of having slightly more disposal income, a driving license, all seven series of DS9 on my shelf, and a mostly functional nose. Hey, I didn't sleep properly for four years. That sucked. Also worth sliding in is that I live with the person I love, so that's an improvement.

You know, I probably should have mentioned that first, before the money. Hmm. Maybe I'll move the weapon collection out of grabbing reach for tonight.

I sort of wonder what I'll be like in ten years, although I'd be approaching forty so my brain simply screams trying to think about it. I do reckon though I'll be thinking that the way I combed my hair to hide the creeping edges of my forehead was bloody idiotic.

Incidentally on a non problematic subject have I mentioned how proud I am of my country right now? When the Mail on Sunday slandered and defrauded that food back, it turns out that the country that the Mail on Sunday and Daily Mail think's they represent is nothing but a twisted fantasy. When exposed to that horrific story, many outraged citizens went out... and donated the fuck out to that charity. They had a few hundred pounds donated before the story... now they have over sixty thousand pounds.

Sixty thousand pounds sterling was raised as a passive-aggressive 'fuck you' to those utter deplorable pricks. That's some good passive aggression. We're also bashing the fuck outta UKIP's blatant racism, which is hilarious that they're playing the 'everyone is bullying me, waaah!' defence. Not quite, UKIP. It's just that you're utter idiots and inclined towards saying racist / sexist / badthingsist things, and any journalist worth their salt knows that following UKIP around is an easy way to fill column inches as they can't keep their own mouths shut.

Who knows, maybe ten years from now I'll be thinking how stupid I was to be worried about Scotland up and leaving, UKIP's growing influence and us leaving the EU.

I already used the Picard grin gif didn't I? Arse.

No comments:

Post a Comment